Thursday, January 13, 2011

Oh, I Love Critters!




And isn’t this a great one!  It’s the cushion or reticulated sea star (Oreaster reticulates), and we see them often on the sand flats.  Sometimes they’re so common, I stand on the bow and point them out, saying, “Starfish, starfish, starfish, starfish…” until Chris goes crazy (ha ha, I love doing that).   But they really are everywhere.  This is a particularly handsome specimen in some particularly beautiful water in Elizabeth Harbour, near George Town, in the southern Exumas.  Unfortunately, it didn’t have its little tube feet out.  If you ever find one (or any starfish, for that matter), hold it on your hand or arm until its feet come out and suck onto your skin.  It’s like velcro when you pull it off. 
 


1 comment:

  1. I do the same thing to John and yell "starfish" continuously...they are actually so very cool to see.I did not know about the velcro hold they can have...i will try that! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete